License Suspensions

California Child Support License Suspensions
Scales of Justice

License Suspensions

If the County believes you are behind on your child support obligation, they will initiate a suspension of any state-issued license that you MAY have.

Most cases involve driver’s licenses; however, your business or occupational license can also be suspended. For instance, we have seen cases involving contractor’s licenses, cosmetology licenses, security guard licenses; and even the licenses of doctors and lawyers.

If the County is taking action to suspend your license or if your license is already suspended, you need to take action right away.

Under California law, the Court is required to take your financial circumstances into account. If your case is properly presented to the Court, there is no reason that you should not be able to keep (or regain) your license.

In one of our cases, the client worked as an independent truck driver, earning less than $27,000 per year. The County suspended his driver’s license, saying he was behind on his child support, and would not even consider releasing his license unless he first came up with $6,000 – – just as a down-payment; plus the County wanted more than $500/month toward back child support.

In presenting his case to the Court, we detailed the client’s particular financial circumstances. This included the fact that the client was supporting two young children. We also impressed upon the Court that without a driver’s license, the client would obviously no longer be able to work as a truck driver; and this would then likely lead to his current family ending-up on some form of government assistance.

At the hearing, the Court ordered that the client’s driver’s license be returned to him. The license was released without the requirement of any down-payment. The client was only required to pay $250/month (instead of $500/month that the County was requesting) toward the back child support.

If you are in danger of losing your license (or if you have already lost your license), you should take action immediately.

If you believe that you may be entitled to legal relief, you may set up a consultation by emailing us or calling (310) 479-2441.